Thursday, October 4, 2007

Some Thank you's

Hello everyone,
I am very sorry I have not been able to keep you up to date on the blog lately but I promise it will be done this weekend. I just have to organize my thoughts. Lots of empty room up there to rumble around!
One of the thoughts rumbling around up there, is how many people I have to thank. If I miss you, please accept my apologies it was not intentional.
First, the people in my office and all offices of WCS/Bridgeforce. I am very fortunate in many ways however one of my "luckiest" ones is the people I get to work with day in and day out. They are just a phenomenal group of people who make my job so much easier and more importantly...fun. I enjoy working everyday with all of them. They are such a huge part of this because I underestimated the amount of time this would take me away from the office and yet again, even with all of this time away we are still on target for our objectives. This happened in 2003 when I was away from the office because of my treatments and SARS and they exceeded our targets. It just goes to show that anyone can be replaced!!! Even more easily than you may be willing to admit! After the walk in Toronto, I was out of the office for two weeks travelling in meetings and for my first full day in the office what do they do.....they organize a lunch for Pat and I to celebrate our walks. How good is that!!! Their support of us was so important to us. I can honestly say that it was a team effort. So to the people who have to put up with me everyday...Thank you, thank you, thank you. You make me look good in the industry and that is not easy to do!
To the insurance industry. Thank you. I am very proud to be part of an industry that is so generous and caring. The support that you have shown me is overwhelming yet again. It is very easy for the public to take "shots" at the industry and I think we have to do a better job of showing just how many charities our industry supports. So to anyone who asked us...did you have to raise $2,000 in each city and if so, how? I would always say it is through the generosity of the insurance industry. I would then explain about our WCS golf tournament for Make A Wish and the support of the walks. In the ten years we have had our golf tournament we have raised approximately $225,000 for kids of the Make A Wish Foundation. In the five years that I have done the walks the industry and friends have donated $40,000 this year for a total of over $75,000!!! Through my friends and colleagues in the industry they have raised over $300,000 for charities. That is just my association with them. There are many many others that they support just as well. So this will be my plug for the insurance industry...they are not just big grey buildings who just take your money. In those buildings there are some of the most generous and caring people I know. Even those people at HUB!! ha ha So to the insurance industry...thank you thank you thank you. You do me proud.
To Brian and the people who work at Causeforce. These are some of the hardest working and dedicated people I have met. This is the company who organizes us, feeds us and most importantly cares for us. For every walk we were in, there were the same smiling faces in each city encouraging and supporting us. I think it is easier to walk the seven cities then it is to be on your feet from literally 5 am to 11 pm Saturday and Sunday. Especially, three weekends in a row. They have to set up and clean up each route and each city. It didn't matter if we were in Ottawa or Toronto all the walks felt the same. They are a professional group of people and no matter how tired they were they always had a bright smile on their face and full of enthusiasm. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I miss you guys.
Big Dave. It was probably close to one year ago that he got stuck with me as a client. Dave is my personal trainer. Without a doubt, I would not of been able to do this without his training. More importantly, my knees would not be able to do it. Over the course of the year we made enough trades that the Leafs would win the Cup. Unfortunately, nobody heard us. Otherwise, we would of been hoisting the cup this spring. So, after watching the Leafs last night and tonight our job is clearly not done...so Dave...looks like we will have to talk about the Leafs again while I train for a bike ride from Toronto to Niagara Falls in June 2008 and the walk again in September in Toronto. Maybe in 2009 we can work up to a triathlon over 12 mths! Dave, thank you, thank you, thank you. Another team effort!
Finally, to my friends and family. Truly the greatest gift in my life. I think we all leave footprints in life and these footprints make up who we are. The best parts of me are the footprints you have left on me. Thank you for the laughter, thank you for your overwhelming support and thank you for your footprints.
With love and thanks,
M.J.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

MJ,
You're the best...well, almost, don't want your head to get too big. Keep doin what you're doin, you touch a lot of lives.

I know you're busy but PLEASE be the GM for the Leafs and Dave can be the coach/trainer...I don't know how much more I can listen to when Rick is yelling at the TV.... he must think these hockey players can hear him...

THANK YOU...
Love, Sylvia